Sunday, March 7, 2010

Baby's schedule

After many sleepless nights, we realise what was keeping Ruthie awake at night. No longer will she open her eyes wide or smile at you at 3am. No longer will we feel like throwing her out of the window after 12am. We realised that she was sleeping too much during the day. Our preconceived idea, from our parents, was that babies this age were to eat and sleep, eat and sleep. That was what I was trying to do in the day, to put her to sleep so that I could have my own time, do the housework, prepare meals. Little did I realise that I was sabotaging myself and my poor hubby who has to work the next day.

When we heard that our friend's 2 month old baby didn't sleep in the day at all but slept very well at night, we figured that must be it. For the last 3 days, Ruthie has slept from 10pm to 10am, with feeds every 4hours. And in the day she sleeps about 3 hours but it's a very light sleep cause any noise will startle her. However, my headache now is entertaining her throughout the day, if not she'll get bored and start making noise. There are times when she can be left alone to play by herself, however the duration is short. And in between is when i can run off to fix lunch, wash the dishes etc. Toys and rattles are not amusing to her. She doesn't even take a 2nd glance at them. She would rather people talk to her and play with her. Get very thirsty doing that. I told my hubby that and he commented "That's why she's a girl"- implying girls need communication with people. Today i had to put her in front of the hanging area while I talked to her and while she watches me hang the laundry.

Despite the daytime rush, it is much better than her staying awake from 12am to 6am. Much better for me as I'm the sort who needs to sleep only on my bed, in the dark and when the surrounding is quiet. And of course much better for the hubby. Pray that she will stick to this routine and reduce her night feeds as well.
- Mummy

No comments: